Top 5 Things to do after a car accident
Car accidents not only claim many lives annually but also lead to damage of property. It is, therefore, imperative to know exactly what to do after a car accident whether you are the driver or passenger. This information is indispensable as it will give you a step by step guidance on what to do immediately after an accident. This crucial information can come handy therefore it is advisable that you keep it somewhere in your car for easy access. Accidents can be messy and cause chaos and confusion. The following steps will help you know how to handle yourself in case you are in such a situation.
Remain at the scene of the accident
Leaving the scene of the accident especially if someone is hurt or has lost their lives can lead to serious legal complications that may in extreme cases result in criminal charges. Therefore, remain at the scene of the accident until legal authorities such as police officers deem it appropriate for you to leave. Additionally, staying at the scene of the accident ensures that you are present to give police officers and investigators an account of the events according to your observations. This not only shields you from becoming a hit and run driver but also prevents you from bias and misconstrued account of the happenings that led to the car accident in question.
While at the scene of the accident ensure every party involved in the accident is okay, if not seek immediate medical assistance. Avoid moving injured people with back and neck pain as this might further worsen their injuries. Unless there is an immediate danger unless injured parties are moved, wait for professional assistance from medical personnel. Also, take time and take photos of any damage done to your car as a result of the accident. These photos will not only go a long way in ascertaining the extent of damage sustained from the accident but will also assist your insurance adjuster to determine a fair and reasonable compensation in court.
Inform the police
After ascertaining the level of damage contact the police especially if there is a significant injury, loss of life or extreme property damage. It is very important for you to request for a detailed police report to be filed when police officers visit the accident scene. Furthermore, make sure you take note of the names of all the police officers and their corresponding badge numbers. Remember that the police officers are there to ascertain the cause of the accident and carry out investigations on the cause of the accident. If you feel incriminated, avoid answering questions you decipher are tailored to put the blame on you. Remember that everything you say under such circumstance is considered evidence. If you are not sure about any question asked by the police, then do not answer it. Avoid narrating the details of the accident to the police when you are still in a state of shock or confusion. As a basic rule do not discuss details of the incident that you are unsure of. Gather the contact information of all parties involved in the accident
It is extremely important to exchange contact information with the other parties involved in the accident whether they are drivers or passengers. Such information includes phone numbers, addresses, numbers of respective driver’s licenses, general insurance information. Be very friendly, respective, cordial and cooperating when conversing with the other parties involved in the accident. However, be very careful not to apologize or admit any wrongdoing. Avoid statements such as” am sorry I made a wrong turn. Such statements are incriminating and will serve as an admission of wrongdoing in a court of law. Such statements are an admittance of legal liability for the accident that occurred.
After an accident occurs, it is not easy to immediately ascertain who or what exactly caused the accident. Unnecessarily and unintentionally admitting wrongdoing places you at the losing end if a legal investigation is carried out. Avoid putting all the blame on you by concentrating on safety rather than talking about the accident and apportioning blame. Self-incrimination leads to legal consequences, therefore, avoid it at all costs. Instead, use this time to talk to any witnesses in sight. Try and get their contact information and attempt having a deeper insight into the events that led to the accident. Ask questions such as if any other accidents have occurred at the same location before and the frequency.
Call your Insurance Company
Call your insurance company immediately and inform them that you have been involved in an accident. Get into details such as your account of the events that led to the accident and the extent of the injuries you have sustained. Be very clear and truthful when explaining yourself and avoid giving contradicting accounts of what happened. Keep in mind that giving false information to the insurance company will result in serious legal complications for you and in extreme cases refusal by the insurance company to offer you coverage for the accident. Obtaining the police report filed will help you and the insurance company ascertain the party that broke traffic rules and caused the car accident in question.
Maintain Medical Records
If the car accident results in injuries that lead to medical attention then it extremely important that you keep track of all the medical treatment that you are provided. Remember any medical professionals whether chiropractors, doctors or physical therapists that treat you. Additionally, maintain a clear and elaborate record of all the medication and treatment that you receive. This will involve keeping records of medical reports and bills. This information is important because it will help you prove the medical expenses you have incurred as the result of injuries sustained from the accident. Although medical expenses are easily documented and relatively easy to prove pain and suffering is difficult to prove. Records such as missed work days, difficulty undertaking routine activities will unequivocally show how the car accident has affected your normal life.
Car accidents are a tricky and in severe cases a detrimental situation to find yourself in. These five guidelines will ensure you act legally and reasonably if found in this unfortunate situation.
The whole perspective of Personal Injury. written by: egracie A personal injury attorney could be the only bridge between you and getting your rightful compensation and rebuilding your life from scratch after going through a misfortune, tragedy or even a bad accident caused by someone’s else fault.in life there comes a time where things just go haywire and ugly with misfortunes, loss, accidents, or injuries. Where do you run to in the event of these misfortunes caused by someone else? What is the next thing to do in the event of a personal injury? I will be covering the steps you need to follow through in the event of a personal injury to get your life back together.
For many Americans, personal injury Attorneys are literally life savers. They will give individuals who have gone through accidents, loss, or injuries a chance to rebuild their lives from scratch after suffering life’s misfortunes.
What is personal injury?
This can be simply referred to as physical injury that has been inflicted on a person’s body. It’s the legal term for an injury to one’s either body, mind, or emotions other than damage to his or her property.
First steps in personal injury claim
Definitely the first step to do always when you get injured in an accident, is to look after your health first then the rest may follow. After this is done, there are a number of things to do in order to get compensated and help you get your right to file a claim for your personal injuries. These are real life steps which if faithfully followed, are valid in almost every situations and institutions.
· Gather as much evidence as possible that can point to who caused the accident, also the amount of damage caused by the accident. Taking photos or videos at this moment to be of great use in providing evidence.
· Write every detail that happened to you after the accident. These can be medical bills, hospital visits, job loss or wages, etc.
· Try as much as possible names and contacts of any witness that may had witnessed the accident. Keep in touch with these people so as to help you as witnesses in your case.
· Inform the person you are to file suit against that you are you are planning on filling a claim for injuries and property damage.
Note: one should know that there’s no usually a time limit set in which one should notify the person. However this should not make hesitate in notifying someone about the file suit. The earlier, the better chances you may get in resolving your claim faster than when you delay.
Benefits of hiring personal injury Attorney
1. Experience in that field: personal injury attorneys are experienced with such cases of personal injury and will advise a client at the start whether their claim is worth to purse legal action. If they assess the situation and see that you are unlikely to win your case, you might as well avoid the time and expense of preparing for litigation.
2. Red tape: in the event of personal injuries, plenty of complicated legal procedures, confusing medical terms, and a lot of paper work arise and this could even add up more salt to the wound. To avoid all these hassle, hiring personal injury attorney could be the biggest favors you will do to yourself.
3. Experience with insurance companies: personal injury attorneys are used to working with insurance companies and their policies and therefore will not be confused by their tactics or feel pressured to settle for an unsatisfactory amount.
4. Objectivity: in the middle of confusion, anger, pain, frustration and even fear all these might affect your ability to see the facts and options put before you. A personal injury lawyer should help you fight and get the rightful compensation. An attorney can be more objective about your case than you and will not rush into a decision out of feelings only.
5. Investigative Team: lawyers get a lot of assistance to solve cases by getting help from investigators who have experience in specialized areas and will skillfully examine the technical aspects of the case to give them.
When to file a lawsuit and when to settle for a personal injury
The victim may decide whether to file a formal law suit or not to. This decision comes after weighing one’s options. In many personal injuries cases, in an instance that no agreement regarding how much of compensation is reached, the victim may decide to file a law suit against the liable party. However if an agreement is reached, the victim may opt to choose not to file if the compensation is satisfactory and receive the payments to end the case.
I will always advice you before making a decision to always contact your lawyer first. There are a number of Los Angeles Personal Injury lawyers who will fight for you and make sure you get the right compensation you deserve in the case of an accident.
What will I get if I win my case?
If one wins his or her case, one is supposed to get paid money, known as damages for the injuries implicated to your body. The amount can include compensation for things like medical bills and lost wages, and also for future wages in case one becomes disable in some manner. Compensation can also be given due to the pain and suffering caused.
Can there be any other basis for personal injury besides negligence?
The answer is a big YES.
· Strict liability is usually an important area of law. This holds product manufacturers strictly liable for injuries from defective products. In this case as a victim of the injury, the only thing that you need to show is that the product was designed and manufactured in a way that made it dangerous when used as intended.
· Intentional wrongs can also the basis of personal injury claims however much rare they are. A good example is when someone hits you even if as a practical joke, can be able to win a suit for battery. Or for instance some security personnel detective wrongly detains you for shoplifting, you may win a suit for false imprisonment.